The Georges A Goyer, QC Memorial Award for Distinguished Service was initiated in 1992 and is named in honour of a respected member of the BC Branch who passed away on November 5, 1992 after a courageous battle with cancer. Georges A Goyer, QC served the CBA as Chair of the National Legal Aid Liaison Committee, Chair of the BC Branch Criminal Justice (Vancouver) Section, Elected Member of the BC Branch and National CBA Councils, Member of the BC Branch and Law Society of BC Communications Committees, Board Member of the Canadian Bar Insurance Association, and Assistant Professor/Director of the UBC Legal Clinic, Faculty of Law.
The Georges A Goyer, QC Memorial Award for Distinguished Service has been created to recognize the exceptional contributions and/or achievements by any resident of British Columbia:
- to the legal profession in British Columbia; or
- to jurisprudence in British Columbia or Canada; or
- to the law or development of the law in British Columbia; or
- a significant law-related benefit to the residents of British Columbia.
Any resident of BC (except a current member of the Executive of the CBABC) is eligible for the award.
This award is presented annually.
The award is presented by the CBABC President at the Bench and Bar Dinner.
The nominee must consent to the nomination and must be nominated by three CBABC members in good standing.
The Award is adjudicated by a four person panel comprised of the CBABC President, CBABC Past President, the Chair of the Continuing Legal Education Society, and an Elected Member of the CBABC Provincial Council, residing outside of the Lower Mainland.
The award is a glass disc emblazoned with the CBA logo and mounted on a glass base.
- 2019 - Robert Brun, QC
- 2018 - Terence E. La Liberté, QC
- 2017 - John Waddell, QC
- 2016 - Catherine Boies Parker
- 2015 - Mary Mouat, QC
- 2014 - Professor Isabel Grant
- 2013 - Glenn Gallins, QC
- 2013 - Donald J. Sorochan, QC
- 2012 - Joyce DeWitt-Van Oosten, QC
- 2011 - James D. Vilvang, QC
- 2010 - Walley Lightbody, QC
- 2009 - Jerry McHale, QC and Art Vertlieb, QC
- 2008 - Marvin Storrow, QC, LLD
- 2007 - Jack Giles, QC
- 2006 - Thomas R Berger, OC, QC
- 2005 - Darrell W Roberts, QC
- 2004 - Warren T Wilson, QC
- 2003 - The Honourable Madam Justice Lynn Smith
- 2002 - Paul Beckmann, QC
- 2001 - Louise Mandell, QC
- 2000 - The Honourable Mr Justice Wallace T Oppal
- 1999 - Peter Wilson, QC
- 1998 - Gilbert Schmitt, QC
- 1995 - Dr Donovan Waters, QC
- 1994 - The Honourable Nathan T Nemetz and Marlene Scott, QC
- 1993 - Neil Davidson, QC
- 1992 - Alec C Robertson, QC
604.687.3404 or 1.888.687.3404