The CBABC Young Lawyers Advisory Committee is a new committee which will focus on advising the CBABC regarding the concerns of Young Lawyers in British Columbia and advocating on their behalf.
The CBABC is seeking appointment of eight members. Appointments are effective October 1, 2018 - August 31, 2019.
It is anticipated the committee will choose one or two projects to focus on. During the initial year, projects may include:
- Identifying what is currently available within the profession to support young lawyers;
- Identifying what the young lawyer membership wants or needs from the CBA; and/or,
- Reporting on the experience of young lawyers within the profession.
Committee members must meet the following criteria:
- a person who is under 40 years of age at the date of their appointment to the Committee, or who was called to the bar no more than 10 years prior to the date of their appointment to the Committee.
- only active CBA members are eligible for appointment and, if appointed, must maintain CBA membership through the term of appointment.
Further, to establish a balanced and diverse committee, factors that may be considered in appointing committee members include: geographical representation; firm size; practice area; year of call; gender and diversity; and, interest and engagement level.
The Committee will meet monthly in-person and/or by video or teleconference. It is anticipated that project work will require an additional 2-4 hours per month outside of meetings.
Members who are interested in serving on this Committee should submit a resumé and brief letter outlining your interest in advocacy relating to the concerns of young lawyers. Submissions are due by 5pm on Wednesday, September 12, to firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions about the committee, please contact Young Lawyers Officer Lauren Chu.