Would you like to help lawyers succeed and ensure a strong legal profession? Do you believe in the CBA BC Branch as a great way to connect lawyers to the people, knowledge and skills they need to practice law? If you would like to be the guiding force behind your CBABC, consider joining the Board of Directors for the 2020-21 year (September to August)
Nominations are now open for the election of a Second Vice-President, Young Lawyers Representative, four Directors-at-large, and Finance & Audit Committee Chair from among the voting members of Provincial Council (that’s you!). Nomination forms are due no later than 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 21, 2020, sent to the Executive Director at email@example.com. The election will be held by online ballot by those in attendance during the Provincial Council meeting on Saturday, June 20, 2020 (held by Zoom).
Candidates must be current members of Provincial Council and if elected, remain a CBA member throughout their term.
The Board must include at least one director who practices in the County of Nanaimo or Victoria, and one director who practices in the County of Cariboo, Kootenay, Prince Rupert, Westminster, or Yale.
All positions are a one year term except the Finance and Audit Committee Chair, which is a two year term.
The Second Vice-President automatically succeeds to the office of First Vice-President on September 1 of the following year and the First Vice-President automatically succeeds to the office President on September 1 of the next year.
Candidates for the Young Lawyers Representative position must be:
- A Chair of any Young Lawyers Section as of December 31, 2019; or
- A County Representative under 40 years of age or 10 years of call; or
- Any Section Chair under 40 years of age or 10 years of call; or
- Current Young Lawyers Representative or Chair of the Young Lawyers Advisory Committee.
Election Procedure (adjusted by Resolution of the Board to accommodate Provincial Council meeting by Zoom)
- Any CBA member in British Columbia may nominate a Candidate.
- The Candidate must provide the Nomination Form and Election Statement of up to 750 words by May 21.
- The Executive Director will contact the Nominees on May 22 to confirm the Election Procedure.
- Up to two nominators per Candidate may submit a Message of Support of up to 250 words by May 26.
- Candidate Election Statements and Messages of Support will be distributed to voting members of Provincial Council.
- Candidates for the positions of Second Vice-President and Finance & Audit Committee Chair may address Provincial Council via Zoom for up to 5 minutes during the Provincial Council Meeting.
- Candidates for the positions of Young Lawyers Representative and Directors at Large may address Provincial Council for up to 3 minutes during the Provincial Council Meeting.
- The Election will occur via Electronic Means during the Provincial Council meeting.
- Election results will be announced during the Provincial Council meeting.
- Questions may be directed to the Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.