The CBA, pursuant to the Military Judges Selection process guidelines, are entitled to nominate a civilian lawyer to the Military Judges Selection Committee. The term is for five years. The condition of appointment is that individuals nominated cannot themselves be a candidate for a judicial appointment in any court during the term of their membership on the committee, and for a period of one year following the end of the term.
- Experience evaluating the suitability of applicants, particularly related to the applicant's professional competence, experience, personal characteristics, social awareness, and potential impediments to the appointment.
- Have been called to the Canadian bar for a minimum of 10 years.
- A member in good standing with a Law Society in Canada.
- Courtroom experience, preferably at multiple levels of the courts.
- It will be an asset, but not a requirement, that a candidate has experience and understanding of the military and the military justice system.
Note: The CBA is committed that its appointments reflect the diversity of the Canadian legal profession.
Branches of the CBA nominate candidates for this position. Interested candidates should provide the Executive Director, Kerry Simmons, QC at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Letter outlining why they are interested in serving on the MJSC and confirming that they meet the criteria set out in the attached.
The deadline for nominations is Friday, July 31, 2020