Law Firms and Practitioners
The Rural Education and Access to Lawyers Initiative (REAL) is committed to assisting law firms and practitioners in small communities and rural areas of British Columbia to recruit, hire and retain law students and new lawyers. REAL has established programs specifically designed to provide this assistance.
REAL 2023 application forms are now open! We invite firms located in rural communities to apply for funding. Spots are limited and qualified firms are approved on a first-come, first-served basis. Funding applications will be open until January 18, 2023.
Firm Application Form
The benefits of the REAL initiative to law firms and practitioners in regional areas include:
- Funding to assist law firms and practitioners to hire summer students;
- Financial and promotional support to assist with the marketing of regions to law students and new lawyers;
- Professional support from the REAL Program Manager to assist with job postings and possible student matching
The REAL Advisory Committee reviews all applications to determine which firms will receive funding through the program. Incoming applications will be weighted on a number of factors including:
- Location in a high needs community or serving a high needs community
- Urgency of need
- Ability and willingness to offer an articling position in the following year.
Firms who can support themselves and contribute to their students wages will get priority over those who need 100% funding by the REAL Program.
More information about different government funding opportunities can be researched through this list of suggested links.
If you would like further information regarding the initiative, please contact the REAL Program Manager at email@example.com.