Submitted by Section Co-Chair, Ritchie Bryan Po
Summary of Meetings
Number of Meetings Held: 4
December 8, 2015
Guest Speaker: Brad Weldon, Senior Policy Analyst, Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for BC
Meeting Title/Topic: OIPC Discussion on Mount Polley (F15-02) and Access Denied (F15-03) Investigation Reports
Synopsis: This meeting was held at 12:00 PM at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, Vancouver , British Columbia. Guest Speaker Brad Weldon spoke about the OIPC's July 2, 2015 Investigation Report F15-02 Review of the Mount Polley Mine Tailings Pond Failure and Public Interest Disclosure by Public Bodies, and the October 22, 2015 Investigation Report F15-03 Access Denied: Record Retention and Disposal Practices of the Government of BC. Duration of meeting was 1.5 hours. Of this, 1 hours can be counted towards CPD.
February 12, 2016
Guest Speaker: Brandon Wiebe Fasken Martineau LLP, Stephanie Gutierrez Fasken Martineau LLP, Devyn Cousineau BC Human Rights Tribunal
Meeting Title/Topic: Remaining Nameless: “Anonymization” of the Complainant or Grievor in Published Decisions
- Ritchie Po called meeting to order at 12:10 p.m.
- Announcement of June 2, 2016 privacy law conference We are looking at holding a meeting in April and are open to speakers Provincial Council takes place on March 5, 2016.
- Ritchie mentioned the re-org of the CBA infrastructure as it will be on the agenda that day End of Life Working Group is looking for privacy law experts to consult on the privacy aspects of sharing information in directives.
- Federal OIPC has released white paper on online reputation that seeks the answer to five specific questions, and has issued an open call for papers to speak to one or more of those topics.
- For any further information on the above initiatives, please contact Ritchie Po or any FOI & Privacy law section executive.
- Presentation took place from 12:15 onward.
- Thanks and acknowledgements to Fasken after presentation.
- Meeting adjourned at 1:00 p.m. PDT.
The duration of this meeting was 1.0. of this, 1.0 hours can be counted towards CPD.
June 2, 2016
Guest Speaker: Michael Argast, TELUS Security Solutions; Ryan P. Berger, Bull, Housser & Tupper LLP; Paul Hancock, University of British Columbia; Ryan Black, McMillan LLP; Rohan Hill, McMillan LLP; Elizabeth Denham, Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for BC; Ian Christman, Motor Vehicle Sales Authority of BC; Sinziana Gutiu, Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for BC; Caitlin Hertzman, CIPP/C; Barbara Norell, Harper Grey LLP
Meeting Title/Topic: CBABC Freedom of Information & Privacy Law Professional Development Conference
Synopsis: Full-day CPD conference. 5.5 hours CPD awarded.
- Privacy Breach and Crisis Management and Related IT Security Issues
Michael Argast, TELUS Security Solutions; Ryan P. Berger, Bull, Housser & Tupper LLP
- Data Sovereignty Restrictions and the Cloud
Paul Hancock, University of British Columbia
- Social Media Update: Defamation, Online Reputation, Cyber-Bullying & Cyber-Stalking
Ryan Black, McMillan LLP; Rohan Hill, McMillan LLP
- Keynote Address
Elizabeth Denham, Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for BC Case Law
- Freedom of Information and Legislative Update
Ian Christman, Motor Vehicle Sales Authority of BC; Sinziana Gutiu, Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for BC Health
- Privacy Panel: Health Information Databanks & Medical Research
Caitlin Hertzman, CIPP/C; Barbara Norell, Harper Grey LLP;
June 2, 2016
Guest Speaker: N/A
Meeting Title/Topic: Section Officers / Executive Elections
Synopsis: Elections held for 2016/17 executive. Election took place at end of CBA privacy conference held on the same day.
Results by acclamation:
Comments and Observations of the Chair
Busy year focused on the June 2016 conference, and with the submission of the update to FIPPA which forms one of the central tenets of our practice. Collaboration with the human rights subsection in our February meeting, as well as working with the IAPP (International Association of Privacy Professionals) and BC Privacy Professionals Networking Forum has helped us to expand our reach. The experience has been rewarding, although I am looking forward to taking the summer off to recharge my batteries! We are already looking to next year, where we would like to invite the new Interim BC Privacy Commissioner Drew McArthur to speak, and we will have no shortage of topics to present.
- Chair: Ritchie Po Past
- Chair: Sara Levine
- Treasurer: Ryan Berger
- Program Coordinator: Sinziana Gutiu
- Legislative Liaison: Maria Kim
- Secretary: Claire Marchant
- Members at Large: Kelly Samuels, Shelley Wrean, Keri Bennett, Alexis Kerr, Darryl Hurwitz