CBABC is pleased to see a number of our recommendations on modernizing the Family Law Act reflected in the recently tabled Bill 17, the Family Law Amendment Act, 2023.
The proposed changes intend to provide parties and the courts with more guidance around the division of property, division of pensions, and spousal support for separating couples.
CBABC’s recommendations that appear in the proposed legislation include:
- abolishing presumption of advancement to transfers between spouses
- providing special treatment for companion animals
- defining ‘companion animals’
- incorporating provisions around appropriate treatment of pets upon separation
- considering certain factors when making orders in pet custody disputes, such as circumstances in which the animal was acquired, the bond between the animal and the parties (including children), proof of domestic violence, and the extent to which each party cared for the animal.
Update May 26, 2023
CBABC is pleased to see Bill 17, the Family Law Amendment Act, 2023, achieved royal assent on May 11, 2023.