Law Firms and Practitioners
The Rural Education and Access to Lawyers Initiative (REAL) is committed to assisting law firms and practitioners in small communities and rural areas of British Columbia to recruit, hire and retain law students and new lawyers. REAL has established programs specifically designed to provide this assistance.
2019 REAL funding applications are now closed.
Firms interested in receiving information about the 2020 funding year, please fill out your contact information.
The benefits of the REAL initiative to law firms and practitioners in regional areas includes:
- Funding to assist law firms and practitioners to hire summer students;
- Financial and promotional support to assist with the marketing of regions to law students and new lawyers;
- Professional support from the REAL Program Manager to assist with the recruitment, hiring and retention of students and new lawyers in small communities and rural areas.
The REAL Advisory Board reviews all applications at the end of February when they determine which firms will receive funding through the program. Incoming applications will be weighted on a number of factors including:
- Located in a high needs community or serves a high needs community
- Urgency of need
- Matching funding has been secured
- Ability and willingness to offer an articling position in the following year.
Due to some changes in our funding, we are adopting a matching funding model where firms will seek local funding partners or self match.
It will be the responsibility of each firm to approach potential funders and relay the details of matching partners to the REAL Program Manager. Firms that secure local funding partners or self-match will have their applications prioritized over applications requesting full funding.
REAL will work with the firm and funding partners to identify the most suitable way of handling the disbursement of the matching funds. Fundamentally, whether the firm will invoice the funding partner directly or if REAL will hold the matching money and disburse the monthly allotment to the firm in the same way it has in past years.
If you would like further information regarding the initiative please contact the REAL Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.